CommonWealth One's Summer Reading Program
CommonWealth One is committed to helping our younger members learn good money habits with our Summer Reading Programs. Our programs begin on Thursday, July 1, and will run through August 31. It’s a great way to encourage your child to read and learn important money management skills during the summer break. Plus, they can earn up to $25!
This year we are offering two reading programs, one designed for children ages 3-12 and a second program for youth ages 13-18. So no matter your child's age, they'll feel engaged and will learn something new!
Passport to Reading Summer Reading Program (Youth Ages 3 - 12)
Here's how your child can participate:
- Open a CommonWealth One youth savings account with as little as $5. Your child will earn 2.1% APY* on the first $1,000 on deposit.
- Download the Summer Reading Passport and the Reading List.
- Have your child start reading books from the reading list1 to earn stamps in their passport and cash for deposit to their youth savings account.
- Read 1 book, earn a stamp and $5.
- Read 2 books, earn a second stamp and $5.
- Read 3 books, earn a third stamp and $5.
- Read 4 books, earn a fourth stamp, plus $10 for a total of $25!2
- Submit your child's completed passport! Submit the passport via our Dropbox, or bring the completed passport to a CommonWealth One branch during business hours. Passports must be submitted by August 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Funds will be deposited in the account of qualifying entrants within two weeks of the submission deadline.3
You can bring kids to our Main Branch in Alexandria or our Harrisonburg Regional Branch to receive a stamp on Saturday mornings. (Stamps are not required to submit reading log.)
Banzai Summer Reading Program (Youth Ages 13 - 18)
Here's how your child can participate:
- Open a CommonWealth One student savings account with as little as $5. Your child will earn 2.1% APY* on the first $1,000 on deposit.
- Visit our Banzai Classroom and have your child complete the courses in the classroom. Your child will get to practice money management skills and learn about living expenses, creating a budget and saving for the unexpected.
- Have your child create a 30-second video on their experience detailing 2-3 things they learned. Submit their video via our Dropbox by August 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Upon successful completion of the course and submission of their video, qualifying entrants will earn $25, which will be deposited into their youth savings account.
*Annual Percentage Yield (APY). Standard Annual Percentage Yield applies to any account balances over $1,000. Only one Youth Savings Account per Social Security Number. Parent/legal guardian required as joint owner, if under the age of 18.
CommonWealth One's Summer Reading Programs are open to youth members ages 3 – 18. The summer reading programs begin Thursday, July 1 and ends Tuesday, August 31, 2021. Entries may be submitted from 12:00 a.m. July 1, 2021 through 11:59 p.m. Monday, August 31, 2021. Cash will be deposited into qualifying entrants' CommonWealth One youth savings account by August 17, 2021. The maximum cash prize per child is $25. Only one entry per child is permitted.
The Passport to Reading Summer Reading Program is open to youth members ages 3 – 12. The first 100 participants to enter will receive a deposit up to $25 to their youth savings account based on the number of qualifying books read. 1A parent/guardian may choose a book that does not appear on the official reading list; however, the subject matter of the book must be financial in nature and a description of the book must also be included. 2Participants will receive $5 per book for reading four qualifying books and completing the Passport log. Passport logs must be submitted via our Passport to Reading Dropbox by 11:59 p.m. Monday, August 31, 2021. A parent/guardian's signature is required. The first 100 qualifying entrants will receive a deposit of $25 to their youth savings account by August 17, 2021.
The Banzai Summer Reading Program is open to youth members ages 13-18. Participants must complete the Banzai program and submit a 15- to 30-second video sharing what they learned. Videos must be submitted via our Banzai Summer Reading Dropbox by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, August 31, 2021. A parent/guardian's signature is required. The first 100 qualifying entrants will receive a deposit of $25 to their youth savings account by August 17, 2021. Please note that a parent/guardian of qualifying entrants will be required to sign an authorization form. This form will be sent upon submission of qualifying entry.
Each entrant hereby grants to the CommonWealth One a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid, universal license to use, copy, modify or make derivative works, sublicense, transmit, distribute, publicly perform, publish, delete or display such submission, or any portion thereof, in any media now known or hereafter devised including, but not limited to, all forms of television and all forms of internet and wireless protocol without any further right of approval or additional compensation. Each entrant grants CommonWealth One the right, but not the obligation, to use the story, characters, and any other information presented in the entry, including the name and likeness of entrant and any persons appearing in the entry, in a commercial or other advertising and publicity for Sponsor.
People Helping People
CommonWealth One is here for you.