CommonWealth One has been awarding scholarships to our student members for more than 20 years. As part of the community, we hope to pave a more affordable path to higher education for our members. These scholarships will serve as funding for his or her attendance at an accredited college, university, or other institution of higher learning during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Kathryn R. Coleman Scholarships
These scholarships are open to all CommonWealth One members whether you live in Harrisonburg, the City of Alexandria, or any other location. Please check back in January 2019 for more application details.
- Kathryn R. Coleman Community Leader Scholarship ($2,500)
- Kathryn R. Coleman Financial Capability Scholarship ($2,500)
In 2006, the scholarship was named to honor CommonWealth One's former President & CEO, Kathryn R. Coleman. Mrs. Coleman began her credit union career at Gravelly Point Credit Union, now CommonWealth One, in January 1956 as a teller. At the time, the credit union had two employees, 2,300 members and $500,000 in assets. She was a well-known and much-loved figure in the credit union movement for almost 40 years.
Applications will be evaluated by a committee and judged based upon:
- An essay
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Academic excellence and achievement
- Be a member of CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union
- Be the primary member on your own account
- Account must be in good standing
- Be a graduating high school senior or college/university student attending a fully accredited college, university, or other institution of higher learning